Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Red lipstick




Hello Wednesdayers, we are over the hump and it is down hill to the weekend.


Today's story is by David Hume.

To Madame de Boufflers 

It is impossible for me, dear madam, to express the difficulty which I have to bear your absence, and the continual want which I feel of your society. I had accustomed myself, of a long time, to think of you as a friend from whom I was never to be separated during any considerable time; and I had flattered myself that we were fitted to pass our lives in intimacy and cordiality with each other.Age and a natural equality of temper were in danger of reducing my heart too great indifference about everything, it was enlivened by the charms of your conversation, and the vivacity of your character. Your mind,more agitated both by unhappy circumstances in your situation and by your natural disposition, could respose itself in the more calm sympathy which you found with me.
   But behold! three months are elapsed since I left you; and it is impossible for me to assign a time when I can hope to join you. I still return to my wish, that I had never left Paris, and that I had kept out of the reach of all other duties, except that which was so sweet, and agreeable, to fulfil, the cultivating your friendship and enjoying your society. Your obliging expressions revive this regret in the strongest degree; especially where you mention the wounds which,though skinned over, still fester at the bottom.
    Oh! my dear friend, how I dread that it may still be long ere you reach a state of tranquillity, in a distress which so little admits of any remedy, and which the natural elevation of your character, instead of putting you above it, makes you feel with greater sensibility. I could only wish to administer the temporary consolation, which the presence of a friend never fails to afford... I kiss your hands with all the devotion possible.


Have a great day!!!

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. looks like my comment did not go through so I will try again...Your awesome!!! You make me want to smile!!

    ReplyDelete