Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Love Letters




Writing is a lost art, men no longer write letters expressing their love for a woman. Instead they send a few letters in a text (luv u). I want to fall in love with love again. Reading Love Letters of Great Men has shown me how wonderful writing truly is. These men put a pen to paper and they poured out their hearts, in sentences like "You will not believe what a longing for you possesses me." Doesn't that sound just beautiful? Each week I will select a letter that touched me and share how wonderful it is with you. I would relish in living in a time where men still courted women, it just seems so romantic. Since this is not an option reading the love letters that were written to others will do. Today's letter is by Pliny the Younger who wrote to his wife Calpurnia.


You will not believe what a longing for you possesses me. the cheif cause of this is my love; and the we have not grown used to be apart. So it comes to pass that I lie awake a great part pf the night, thinking of you; and that by day, when the hours return at which I was wont to visit you, my feet take me, as it is so truly said, to your chamber, but not finding you there I return, sick and sad at heart, like an excluded  lover. The only time that is free from these torments is when I am being worn at the bar, and in the suits of my friends. Judge you what must be my life when I find my repose in toil, my solace in wretchedness and anxiety. Farewell.

Have a great Wednesday.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment